Saturday, February 3, 2007

Straight Up the Middle

With both sides of the island covered, today was the day to visit the center. Right in the middle of Jeju is Hallysan, the highest point in Korea, and it is beautiful. Here is a picture of the mountain from afar. A mountain in the clouds was quite a sight from the sea.

The morning involved a late start, I'd told JaeShin to sleep late if he wanted. I checked out of my room, and was content to wait in the hotel lobby. Unbeknownst to me, the desk clerk called a certain aunt up in Dongducheon because my ride had not shown up. Poor JaeShin, he was getting all sorts of calls that morning. LOL When he picked me up, we headed to the airport to gather Miri. After a quick stop at the Changan Rehabilitation Home to drop off our suitcases and eat lunch, we took off for Hallysan.

The first thing we did was head for the snow. There were plans for a stunning portrait in the snow, but a certain member of our entourage pushed another member into the snow, so any attempt at "stunning" was gone. With so much snow, a small snowman army was beginning to appear. Snowmen are sooooo overrated, especially when there are piggies that can be created. My love of swine had nothing to do with the decision to build a piggy. 2007 is the year of the pig and Jeju pork is a famous agricultural product. What a coincidence that I happen to be fond of hoggy things.

While we are on the subject of agricultural products, we cannot fail to mention these glorious little oranges that are only grown on Jeju. They are quite delicious as is, but they are also very nice in orange or citron tea. The tea is made from raw minced oranges and although it is a little bitter at first, I was quickly addicted and drank LOTS of it during my stay on Jeju.

This was a short travel day due to the late start and the need to get back to the Children's Home at a decent hour. This meant the end of JaeShin's guide duties, but he promised to come to Dongducheon for chili - and visit his favorite aunt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AGAIN I ASK YOU "where are your gloves"???????? Do they not sell gloves in wherever you are????
Your hands are freezing.

LOVED THE SNOW HOGGY