Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Rest of the Story

You have read the tale of my Korean washing machine, so here is my state of the art Korean dryer:


This drying rack is on the "patio" outside our bedroom. When I want to dry clothes, I pull the cord and lower it from the ceiling, then throw open the windows and ta-dah!

On a recent trek to E-mart, I saw these drying racks for sale. I told the chaplain that we were going to take at least one of them home with us. If anyone wants one of these babies for Christmas, you had better get your order in. When technology like this hits the market during the holiday season, it does not sit on the shelves long!

"What is E-mart?" Well, I thought you would never ask! Americans here call it a Korean Wal-mart, but it is better. There are no pallets of merchandise blocking the aisle, there are employees everywhere, and it is built UP rather than OUT. This particular E-mart is about 4 stories, and had an escalator that enabled patrons to move their shopping cart up to the different levels. The parking deck is right in the building, so there is no 1/2 mile trek from the back 40 to get into the store.

I had intensions of exploring E-mart after we found the white shirt that necessitated this foray into mass capitalism, but the real me just could not do it. Even with all the neat things, a store is a store, and stuff is just stuff. After about 15 minutes the novelty was gone, BUT I managed to drag myself to the small food court and have a Baskin Robbins ice cream.

Yup! 31 flavors has hit the Korean peninsula - only you would not recognize some of the 31. I feasted upon Red Bean Ice Cream (declining the Pumpkin Pudding, Jasmine Tea and Green Tea flavored ice creams on this trip.) It wasn't bad at all, and the chunks of red beans mixed in were a real treat!!
Erin bypassed Baskin Robbin's "Wellness Flavors" for some sort of Triple Chocolate Chunky Something. What a wimp!

No comments: